Water Quality Monitoring Systems & Services
Meteor provide high resolution real time monitoring solutions for catchments and large scale water quality programmes.
There are two main routes to provision:
Water Quality as a Service (WQaaS)
Meteor have developed the Water Quality as a Service (WQaaS) model which gives customers great flexibility and control over the monitoring they require with no upfront capital costs.
The water quality monitoring system has been developed over the past five years, building on Meteor’s experience providing highly portable, reliable, robust monitoring systems to the Environment Agency. Utilising the ESNET Modular monitoring system there are a range of monitoring platforms which are suitable for a wide variety of monitoring scenarios.
In addition to water quality, the ESNET system can bring in data from a wide variety of sensors, including:
- Multiparameter sonde – Typically Meteor use the Xylem EXO2 multiparameter sonde which provides real time measurement of Temperature, Conductivity, pH, Ammonium, Turbidity and Dissolved Oxygen. Other parameters can be easily added such as Chlorophyll, FDom and Nitrate.
- Other online instruments – The ESNET system can also interface to instruments from all leading manufacturers to provide additional parameters such as UV Nitrate, UV254, Phosphate and COD/BOD
- Level / Flow – Using pressure sensors or doppler flow such as the Sontek IQ the ESNET system can be used for flow surveys or to provide additional contextual information to the Water Quality
- Autosamplers – These can be directly connected to the ESNET or remotely sited. They can be triggered automatically via alarm or remotely by users. This is a highly cost effective method to provide additional information during events and capture parameters with cannot be detected using the online instrumentation. Meteor have a stock of ISCO6712 samplers to provide this functionality.
- Weather / Rainfall – Weather stations and raingauges can be directly connected and used to provide contextual information or alarm trigger points. Meteor keep a fleet of Gill MaxiMet weather stations and Casella raingauges for this purpose.
The WQaaS model works as follows:
Consult – Meteor can provide input on suitable monitoring locations and strategies based on previous experience and the aims of the project.
Fixed cost pricing – Meteor will provide a fixed cost for provision of the monitoring over the course of the monitoring programme. This includes all elements of data collection, scheduled field visits, calibration service and data provision
Installation – Meteor install the water quality monitoring system and commission using in house field engineering teams.
Field service – Meteor technicians visit each site on a monthly basis to swap over the multiparameter sonde and complete any required maintenance tasks. Depending on the required service Meteor will also visit to undertake sampling programmes and collect autosampler runs.
Data monitoring – Meteor remotely assess the data every day to check not only for completeness of data record but also accuracy. In the event of an issue this will be raised immediately with the customer and suitable rectification steps put in place.
Data Support – The meteor Water Quality Services team are always available via telephone or email to support users in interpretation and analysis of the data from site.
MeteorCloud® – Data is available in real time on the MeteorCloud® from any web enabled device. In addition alarms can be setup to alert users to changing conditions on site.
Calibration – All calibrations are conducted centrally at Meteor’s laboratory facility. This ensures reliable, consistent data measurements whilst minimising downtime on site.
Sample analysis – Meteor have agreements in place with leading laboratories and provide a fast turnaround service for sample analysis. This ensures the samples are representative when analysed.
Meteors’ WQaaS model is in use by numerous Water Utilities, consultants and Government Agencies across the UK at over 250 sites. A typical example is the Evenlode project for Atkins / Eight20:
Meteor can also provide systems for purchase. This can range from provision of an ESNET monitoring unit through to supply of complete monitoring networks including sensors.
Once installed Meteor can offer ongoing Managed Service solutions which can include:
- Data collection – Real time data collection and MeteorCloud® data service
- Field Services – Sensor changeover, sampling and maintenance
- Calibration – Laboratory calibration of customer equipment
This option is suited for longer term or permanent water quality monitoring applications.